Ubud Is a Town on the Indonesian Island of Bali
Ubud in Bali is one of those places where a vacation of a few days can easily turn into a stay of weeks, months or even a life time. Ubud is a place of traditional Balinese culture, colourful offerings, gamelan sounds, sustainable timeless designs, mindfulness, yoga, healthy and culinary inventiveness. Ubud is located in the uplands of Bali and has a completely different atmosphere than Kuta or Seminyak even with the busy Jalan Raya Ubud congested with traffic, tour groups, and souvenir shops.
Where to stay in Ubud?
For this problem we have one simple rule. Stay out of town. There’s a huge range of accommodation in Ubud from budget homestay to luxury resorts so it will not be difficult to find the one you like. You will get different experiences from Ubud depending on where you stay. Staying in Ubud town mostly means it will be more touristy and busier than the out of town places. If you like a hotel surrounded by the beautiful jungle or rice fields then don’t be afraid to stay in outskirts of Ubud this way you wont miss the natural beauty of the place.
Ubud Accommodation Quick Facts
- Ubud’s centre is relatively small compact and easy to explore on foot
- Most of Ubud’s resorts are located outside of the town, so plan ahead for your transportation
- Accommodation prices in Ubud range from extremely affordable to extremely expensive
- Renting bike is easy, taxes are everywhere and most of the hotels from outskirts run a shuttle service
- You should choose to stay in Ubud centre if you want convenience of shops or restaurants in walking distance.
- Car and motorbike traffic in Ubud town is busy
Getting around Ubud
The most common and easiest way to get around in Ubud is motorbike. Don’t underestimate the traffic and safety and always put your helmet on if you decide to ride a bike. If you don’t feel like renting a bike, the you need to install Go-Jek Rideshare App (Indonesia version of Uber) in your phone. Another great way to explore Ubud area are Bali holiday land tours offered by many Ubud providers or well design Ubud tour with your own guide. Other option is to hire a private Bali driver.
Tips for staying in Ubud
- Visit rice terraces we recommend the Tegalalang rice terrace
- Do Campuhan Ridge Walk
- See Kecak Dance Performace
- Try yoga lesson in Ubud
- Visit monkey forrest
- Swim in the waterfall
- Try some traditional Bali massage in “resort spa”
- Do some shopping
- Cook your own meal in Balinese Cooking School
- Organise Mount Batur sunrise trekking
What’s Nearby Ubud?
If you flying home from Ubud then Bali International Airport is 1.5 – 2 hrs away. If you Desire to swim in the sea Sanur beach is about 1 hr away. Padangbai with the one of the best diving in Bali and great Bali dive sites are only 1.5 hrs away. Kuta/Seminyak/Legian with the night life and surfing culture are about 1.5 – 2 hrs away.