Few Reasons Why We Shouldn’t Touch the Marine Life

Respect is the key

Scuba diving in Padangbai is a memorable experience for all divers who come to Bali. Those who want to enjoy a scuba diving holiday in Bali will have one of the best diving as well as snorkelling experience in Padangbai. Diving in Bali is an amazing for the novice or experience divers too and especially Padangbai is the spot where challenging diving ideal for the good scuba divers meet the lagoons ideal for diving beginners.

Please Dive With Respect

While diving in Padangbai, the divers get the opportunity to view a variety of marine life such as stonefish, frogfish and different types of sharks, sea horses, dragonet fish and many more. The shallow waters and the sandy beaches make this place one of the most favourable destinations of scuba divers from all around world as one can find the perfect blend of natural beauty and variety of amazing marine life. Many divers find the underwater world of Padangbai so beautiful that from time to time they are really tempted to touch it. But should we do it or not?

The fish with a blade or spike

Those who undertake scuba diving should make it a point not to touch the marine life that they come across. The different species under water have different methods for their self defence. The types of fish that belong to the family of Surgeonfish are provided with a part know as caudal peduncle which is as sharp as a blade. This part makes it difficult for the predatory fish to eat the fish of this type. While diving in Padangbai, you may meet many other underwater creatures like lion fish or scorpion fish where sharp spines or blades are top up even with poisonous chemicals too.

Fish with toxic chemicals

The marine species can inflict severe damages by different methods. For example stonefish and scorpionfish contain poisons that are very hazardous for all and scuba divers should ensure not to touch this type of marine creatures with or without intention. Their poisons is only use as a defence mechanism and it instantaneously create wounds on anything that touches them and fill the wounds with the highly toxic chemicals that they carry. These wounds usually cause severe to very severe pain and may require treatment for several month to get them healed. Corals and jelly fish are also known for their ability to inject toxins into anything that touches them. I am sure that you already had some experience with fire coral. Everybody who enjoy their diving holiday in Bali or elsewhere should be aware of this risk but he or she should always understand that fish either corals are not aggressive and use their poisons only as a last step in their defence.

Avoid interactions with fish

Every experienced scuba diver knows that injuries caused by marine life are extremely rare situations. The primary mechanism for fish defence is simple swim away solution, but if an aggressor is persistent and chase the fish it can try to bite. Most of the times you can witness such a behaviour with trigger fish when they try to defend their nest. The potential risk is not the only reason why we should avoid the interaction with marine life but. Most corals and fish have special layer made of mucous which serves as an antibacterial protection. It keeps away or kill the parasites, fight the infection and keeps fish healthy. You touch it you destroy it or make a severe damage to it. Stroking napoleon, grouper, turtle or even a coral is really bad idea if one has the health of marine life on his mind. I have seen turtles and wrasses infested with parasites just because they were touched by divers far to often.

We come diving to see stuff not to harass it and even we may think one little touch can’t be bad well it is. Think of your self lying on sofa at your home and some strange huge baubles blowing octopus is trying to feel your sexy body like if the point that it was staring at you for past five minutes was not enough already.

What's your reaction?
× Hi there