Manta Point Nusa Penida Bali Dive Site
Bali dive site Manta Point is a limestone outcrop off Tanjung Pandan, near the far west side of Nusa Penida island. The above water scenery is spectacular, with sheer limestone cliffs cut by the swell that pounds the coast all year round. The difficulty of Manta Point dive site comes from the swell which can sometimes be really big and strong waves as the Indian Ocean and Indonesian Through-Flow like to pound this coast of Nusa Penida a lot.
Diving in Bali with Manta Rays
Manta Point is one of the best Bali dive sites as it attracts manta rays all year round. The waters are rich with plankton which often fascinate the magnificent bird of the seas for feeding. But our Manta Point acts as well as a cleaning station which is a great advantage for those divers who like to have the opportunity to see Manta rays from really short distance and in very calm behaviour. Most of the time mantas just circle around you like in the ring of fire. The scene is just amazing and the picture of that magic animal will stay with you for rest of your life.
Friendly Manta Rays at Manta Point Nusa Penida
As with every animal in wild on some days you can see one manta, on another day you can see twenty! Mantas are very friendly and enjoy the company of good, calm and not chasing divers. They often swooping in to investigate and shivering with excitement as the divers bubbles tickle their bellies. In the dry season especially in deeper parts of Manta Point dive spot we have a nice chance to spot special mola mola or sunfish too.
Why to scuba dive at Manta point Nusa Penida?
- There is around 95% probability of seeing mantas on your diving vacation
- They hang around here throughout the whole year
- You can see them from a short distance great fo underwater photographer
- Mantas will circle around and stay at this location and not just swim by
- Mantas are here in a calm, relaxed mood
- You can enjoy mantas even if you are not the best diver, we can take you on snorkeling with mantas too!
- You find more reasons in our blog: Why You Should Dive the Manta Point Cleaning Station in Nusa Penida Bali
Interesting facts about Manta Rays in Nusa Penida:
- Mantas along with other species of rays belong to the same class as sharks.
- They are the largest kind of rays you can find in the oceans.
- Despite their size, they are harmless to humans and have no stinging barbs.
- Even though they have around 300 small teeth, they don't hunt for prey. Instead, they just swim with their mouth open and feed on zooplankton.
- These gentle giants are protected by laws in Indonesia.
- Mantas reproduce very slowly and have 1 pup each 3-4 years.
- Sadly, even though fishing for mantas is forbidden, there are still people who catch them illegally and use their gills in Chinese medicine.
- Each manta has unique spots on their belly, and it is possible to identify them based on them.
- They can live up to 50 years.
- Mantas are very intelligent and have the largest brain of all fish.
- They are good at jumping, too! Even though it is rather rare, mantas can jump up to 2 meters out of water.
If you have any questions about diving at Manta Point please contact us.
For more information about prices check our diving in Bali - Prices.