Gili Selang Bali Dive Site
Gili Selang in Bali is a small islet lying just off the eastern most point of all Bali dive sites but only 45 minutes boat ride from Padangbai. The protected areas in the shallows between the Bali mainland and Gili Selang host large colonies of leather corals and brain corals. Directly to the north of the Gili Selang island lies the most protected section of the dive site.
Advanced diving in Bali
As you work your way down the black sand reef slope you'll find big black coral bushes and gorgonian fans many of them hosting pygmy seahorse. However, it's the proximity to deep water channels that makes this scuba diving in Bali popular with advanced divers. The cobbly east side of the island plunges sharply beyond recreational diving limits, and the swift currents which diving in Bali is so famous for, attracting giant trevally, grey reef sharks and deep water pelagics sometimes even the hammerhead sharks. Schools of jacks rotate in perfect gyres during daylight. They form their schools for protection from barracudas but of course it doesn't work with fishermen. Then at night they seperate to hunt smaller fish. 'Current-swept' can be an understatement here and down currents can be treacherous. You may need to make the most of any protection offered by small pockets to the south of the islet, to make for shallower waters.
Why to dive at Gili Selang Bali?
- Current keeps the waters exceptionally nutrient-rich
- Great place to see pelagics on your diving vacation
- Visibility often up to 25 meters
- Great weather in Bali
- Marine life is very different from what you usually see in other areas
- Great density and variety of corals, gorgonian fans, sponges, boomies and reef fish
Interesting facts about diving in Gili Selang:
- Gili Selang is the most easterly located point of Bali dive sites and you can find it on the very edge of the Lombok Strait.
- Here, you can feel the full power of Indonesian Throughflow.
- The Lombok Strait here is about 40km wide, but further south it narrows to about 18km which increases the velocity of the water flow.
- Thanks to strong current, Gili Selang got a nickname “The Express“.
- There is also a sheltered area called Labuan Kutumanak on the north-west of Gili Selang that is very pleasant for diving.
If you have any questions about diving in Gili Selang, please contact us.
For more information about prices check our diving in Bali - Prices.