Diving in Bali Is a True Joy
Gamat Bay in Bali is dive site located on the western side of Nusa Penida, bit more south from Toyapakeh dive site and it is well known among local divers in Bali and Padangbai for it’s beauty but strong currents too. To be able to dive it, one must be an experienced diver as a Gamat Bay can be one of the most challenging dive sites in Nusa Penida. The bottom of Gamat Bay is mostly sand, coral patches and big nicely shape coral bommies. There is a profusion of colourful soft corals, with gorgonians and hard corals everywhere.
Diving In The Tropical Lagoon
These shallow areas of Gamat Bay are lovely, full of reef fish common to Nusa Penida and other Bali dive sites. If you like nudibranchs than exploring them in Gamat could easy take your whole dive. Visibility is usually superb within the bay and therefore photographers will definitely find the perfect light for their rare underwater objects. The very rich 10-20 m part of the slope also has some big bommies that provide some protection from the current while exploring the channel waters of Ceningan. The larger fish life here is fairly diverse with some large specimens of surgeonfish, grouper and unicorn-fish. Overhangs and a couple of small caves provide resting places for white tip reef sharks and turtles (also sometimes seen in the bay itself). Diving in Gamat Bay can be a reliable dive site for sightings of Mola-Mola in season.
Why to dive at Gamat Bay Nusa Penida?
- Many small caves and crevices and the variety of reef fish
- Chance to see pelagics
- Visibility is usually very good
- Many boomies throughout the whole area with interesting critters to find
- Chance to see Mola Mola during the season
- Shallow areas with lovely macro
- Nice boat ride with views on rocky cliffs and beautiful beaches of Nusa Penida
Interesting facts about Nusa Penida:
- Nusa Penida is located 20 km from Bali.
- Since 2010, 20 057 hectares surrounding Nusa Penida and neighboring islands Nusa Ceningan & Nusa Lembongan have been declared as Marine Life Protected Area.
- Diving in Nusa Penida began to take off in the 1990’s after the Mola Mola cleaning stations were discovered here.
- Just like diving in Bali, Nusa penida dive sites are located in the Coral Triangle which is home to more than 296 coral species and 576 reef fish species.
- The total size of Nusa Penida is 200 square kilometers.
- The locals speak an ancient Balinese dialect spoken nowhere else in Bali.
For more information about price for diving in Bali and Nusa Penida check our price list.
Duration: 9am - 2pm