Kawah Ijen Blue Fire Java Holiday Land Tours
This tour will take you to watch stunning blue fire and flames erupting to up to 5m from the Kawah Ijen crater. This natural phenomena is one of the most stunning spectacles and you should definitely not miss it. We will start from OK Divers Resort & Spa in Padangbai at around 5 PM and travel to Java by night.
Java tour - Trekking to the summit of Mount Ijen to see blue fire
There’s no place like it!
We will arrive late at night to the trekking starting point, where you will be given a briefing regarding safety and trekking rules. The hike up takes about 1,5 – 2 hrs to the rim plus another 30 minutes to descent into the crater. There we will have a one of a kind opportunity to watch the blue fire from up close. About this time, the sulphur miners also start to work. Their job is one of the toughest there is, you will see them carry heavy loads (up to 80 ks) of sulphur. They do this every day, and one journey is up to 7km long.
You will also witness the sunrise. The lake’s eerie colors and the smoke wafting from the bright yellow sulphur deposits along the shore create a landscape both gloomy and barren, yet vibrantly alive at the same time.
On the way down and back to the parking lot, allow your eyes to soak in the surrounding scenery and if you’re lucky, you might see long tailed macaque monkeys just before we wrap up our visit to this mystic place.
Afterwards we will make our way back to Bali, with stops along the way for photos and snack breaks. Expected arrival to OK Divers in Padangbai is at around 6 PM.
Kawah Ijen - Blue Fire Tour Interesting Facts:
- The blue fire phenomena are extremely rare and could be found only in few places on earth, for instance on Iceland or in Ethiopia
- The sulfur gasses emerge from the cracks in the volcano at the temperature of 600°C
- The turquoise lake is, in fact, the largest acidic lake in the world
- It contains highly condensed hydrochloric acid with a pH of almost 0
- Water in the lake has a temperature of 60°C and is toxic
- Depending on the activity of the volcano, the lake can even change its color
- The volcano does not erupt lava as many people might expect but exudes methane gas instead
- The plateau of Kawah Ijen is one huge active crater including also other volcanoes - Merapi and Raung
- Ijen plateau belongs to the Baluran national park consisting of mangrove forests, lowland forests, savannahs, and even coffee plantations
- The tradition of extracting sulfur from Kawah Ijen dates around 700 years back
What is included in the tour:
- Private car transfer in air-conditioned car, Bali – Java - Bali
- English speaking driver
- All entrance fees
- Trekking Guide
- Clinical face mask and torch
- Mineral water
- Ferry fares to cross to Java and back
What is not included:
- Personal expenses and gratuities
- Travel insurance
- Lunch & Dinner